Audiovisual Data Centre Design & Build For Vitec Group PLC
Employing around 1,700 people in 11 different countries, Vitec is a leading global provider of premium branded solutions to the fast changing and growing image capture and sharing market. The company designs, manufactures and distributes high-performance products including camera supports, camera mounted electronic accessories, robotic camera systems, prompters, LED lights, mobile power, monitors and bags. Customers include broadcasters, independent content creators, photographers and enterprises.
Bury St. Edmunds, UK
Audiovisual Data Centre Design & Build
In January 2017, Vitec began preparing for a move to a new smaller site in Bury St Edmunds. The company was consolidating a number of functions and required less space. One element of this large-scale move was a audiovisual data centre relocation. Ben Skinner, Head of Corporate Networks and Infrastructure at Vitec, managed the data centre tender process, giving interested companies a free rein and leaving the tender open to creativity.
Three companies tendered and INFINITI was successful in winning the work. “I was keen to see a range of creative ideas,” said Ben. “Price was also a factor of course. INFINITI gave us a good price and some really creative ideas on how to best use the space available. We preferred INFINITI’s design and approach to the brief, and decided to progress the project with them.”
Ben accurately predicted that installing the audiovisual data centre while construction companies were working on site would prove to be a considerable challenge. The INFINITI team would need to be flexible with stopping and starting work when required, to allow the office build to take place.
Solution.INFINITI began the project in June 2017. The data centre was designed to facilitate future growth, with specifications to support expanding operations by up to 33%. The work included:
- Design and build of a new data centre to accommodate the relocation of business operations
- Design, installation and provision of one hour fire rated block up doorways, security door and heavy duty anti-static vinyl flooring
- Provision of UPS 30kVA/ 27kW, bypass panel and electrical systems, design and installation of electrical systems and 100kVA generator
- Design and build of noncritical electrical systems, lighting, fire and security systems and resilient cooling systems
- Provision of eight server cabinets
- Design and installation of fire suppression systems
- Environmental Monitoring System and
certified CAT6 data systems within the data
- The way the INFINITI team used the space
- The design of the airflows
- How the room is managed
- The raised floor that was not part of the original plan but was created with flexibility and patience
As a data centre provider offering both consultancy and building services, Infiniti can help offer
guidance and support on the best options for your business.